Booking your family photography session
Before your photography session I offer advice around the best timings for your shoot to give optimal light conditions. I will also provide information around clothing to compliment the colours of the season – with the aim of enhancing the impact of the final images. I discuss in advance the kind of activities that your children might enjoy taking part in – or any props they might like to bring along (a favourite teddy or scooter for example). This will help to generate opportunities for spontaneous interaction and natural expression. This consultation is included in the booking fee – which secures the agreed date and covers the cost of your family photography session.
Natural light & family photography
Often I hear people say that they are not ‘photogenic’, however I know this to be untrue. The real trick is to capture that person in their most relaxed state – and in the best quality of light. When inside a clients home I begin by seeking out rooms with soft light (where the sun is not streaming in). These are often not the most obvious rooms (bathrooms for example can be great) and I might need to move items of furniture to access the best available light source. Looking directly towards a window that has soft light gives the impression of flawless skin and is incredibly flattering on all ages. On a very dull and cloudy day I might use my reflector to enhance the natural window light or bounce flash off the ceiling so as to replicate and enhance the natural light coming in.
On an outdoor family photography session my goal is always to get a good mixture of relaxed group shots, close up portraits and playful, candid interaction between family members. Timing your session towards either sunrise or sunset gives more freedom and is ideal in terms of capturing beautiful light. When the sun is high I will look for top shade to avoid unflattering shadows under the eyes (preferable even on an overcast day). Trees, doorways and umbrellas are some great ways to find shade and enhance the lighting conditions so as to produce the best quality end result.
Hertfordshire and the surrounding counties
A photography session can begin in your home and then venture out into your garden or further afield. If you have a particular location that is special to you or that you would like to explore then I am able to travel to accommodate (prices may vary depending on distance travelled). Equally if you would like advice on local beauty spots in the Hertfordshire or Bedfordshire area then I am very happy to recommend these to you.
After your family photography session
- Immediately after your session I will offer a ‘sneak peak’ on my social media pages (for those who so wish) which you are welcome to share with friends and family.
- Over the next few days the best images will be selected by myself and given a light edit. These will be compiled into a watermarked online gallery of approximately 35 images for you to view. Some of the images may be best presented in black and white – to enhance elements such as composition, emotional connection or humour.
- The private online gallery of these selected and watermarked images will be sent to you. The next step is to choose your own favourites from this gallery – and you will automatically receive a 10% discount if you make this selection within 1 week of your online gallery being sent.
- Once payment has been received for the package you have selected, each of your favourite images will be fully edited to further enhance colours and ensure the highest quality end result.
- An un-watermarked and fully edited online gallery of high resolution digital files will be sent to you with a download pin. Your selected fine art prints will be posted out (framed if requested).
How to book your family photography session with me
If you would like to chat about possible locations and available dates for a photography session with your family, please make contact today. It is my pleasure to discuss any special requests or further questions that you may have.